Mr. Rose, Partner at Reuben, Junius & Rose LLP, focuses on a wide-range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, office leasing, retail leasing, sales of business assets, secured financing, foreclosures and workouts, partnership and limited liability company agreements, joint venture agreements, development agreements, entity formation, reciprocal easement agreements for subdivision projects and construction access/underpinning and shoring agreements.
- B.S., 1992 the University of California, Irvine (political science)
- J.D., 1995 University of California, Hastings School of Law (magna cum laude)
- Preparation of the leasing strategy and representing the landlord in the lease-up of a redeveloped suburban retail shopping center, including negotiation of a long term ground lease with the anchor tenant and 26 retail tenants.
- Representing the lender and equity partner in the acquisition of a portfolio of promissory notes secured by ten separate properties, including foreclosure-related matters.
- Representing the owners of a number of office buildings in San Francisco, Oakland and Contra Costa County on all leasing matters, including preparation of the building form leases and green building programs.
- Negotiating a $15 million sale of land, including the development agreement and cost-sharing agreement, as part of a mixed-use project in Cotati, California, containing over 250,000 square feet of retail space and 42 residential units.
- Representation of a local residential developer concerning its financing, acquisition and joint venture/equity agreements, for multiple mid-rise development projects.
- Handling all of the acquisition documents for the sale of numerous office buildings and development sites in San Francisco.
- Representing a statewide residential real estate broker in all its transactions.
- Leading the real estate due diligence team for the potential acquisition of over 20 apartment buildings in California.
- Representing a New York-based finance lender in all its California commercial real estate loans (over $150 million in closings).
- Negotiating and arranging numerous purchases and sales of transferable development rights (TDR) in San Francisco.
Other Representative projects include:
- Obtaining subdivision approvals from the California Department of Real Estate for many San Francisco condominium projects, including a 233-unit residential project near AT&T Park, a 269-unit residential project in Mission Bay and a 43-unit project in downtown San Francisco.
- Arranging and structuring a commercial subdivision project creating separate air space parcels in a single 29-story building envelope, including a residential parcel, an office parcel, a parking parcel and a development parcel.
- Preparing the reciprocal easement and maintenance agreement for a mixed-use development including retail, office space and luxury residential condominiums. The work involved creating new air space parcels in a historic structure that contained irregularly shaped vertical parcels.
- Oversight of the firm’s condominium and Bureau of Real Estate practice, which includes over 30 existing projects in San Francisco and the surrounding communities.
- Regular representation of clients in real estate tax appeals before the San Francisco Assessment Appeals Board. These appeals involve disputes over changes of ownership, valuation of real estate after sale, subdivision related reassessments, and decline in value appeals.
- Advises clients with regard to matters involving California’s Proposition 13, and applicable exceptions to property reassessment. For example, he recently obtained a property value reduction of over $7 million for commercial property owners. In another case, the Assessor agreed to cancel a $1,100,000 reassessment that was improperly imposed after Mr. Rose pointed out the legal error.
- Member, BOMA of San Francisco
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- State Bar of California
- NCAA Division I, Basketball Official
- Taxes, Taxes, and More Taxes, Reuben, Junius & Rose, Update August 31, 2016
- Private Right of Eminent Domain May Help with Tight Construction Spaces, Reuben, Junius & Rose, Update February 19, 2016
- The Latest on San Francisco Real Estate Assessment Appeals, Reuben, Junius & Rose, Update July 2, 2015
- Serves as a pro bono fee arbitrator for the San Francisco Bar Association and has represented a number of clients through Legal Services for Children.
- Serves as a volunteer coach and official for Clayton Valley Little League and Concord AYSO (youth soccer).